
I get the feeling that many of my classmates would include a picture of their laptops in their projects, just as I have, because it seems that the computer and the internet are essential towards education today. This is especially so for the professors her at Ursinus. More often than not, I send my papers via email rather than printing them out. I don't go to my teacher's offices, I email them. These days you can find more information for your projects on the internet than you could in the library, especially since the government had cut funding for them.
This then reminded me a little of what Baudrillard and others have been saying about the media being a great tool for societal control. My senior year in college is the very first time that I've spent my academic year doing so many of my projects on the internet. My CIE 3 class has a wiki that we post on. I have another blog that I keep for my Japanese visual class, and the very fact that I am doing this project on a blog is proof that the media is controlling my life. Everything I do now is done via the internet. In this article, Eizenberg said that we can work with the media and society while Baudrillard said that we instead must destroy it. Yet I am stuck in the middle. On one hand I see the internet can be evil, but on the other I in this modern era, wouldn't be able to graduate college without it. I learned more from wikipedia than I every could have inside a normal classroom listening to a teacher. I then would disagree with Baudrillard. I think we can work with the media.
On a side note, I kept the image of Goggle on my laptop on purpose because that is the start of everything. That is the site most widely used, and used by myself, to find out anything I could possibly want to know. And I kept my room a mess because that is how I live everyday. To clean up around my laptop would be to create a false representation of how my life really is. So I do and I don't apologize for the mess.

No comments:
Post a Comment