Wednesday, April 8, 2009

On that same note...




Similarly, I chose to post this UPhi cake that we made for homecoming last semester because to me it felt symbolic of the parties we occasionally have and the amount of time I spend socializing with UPhi girls every weekend. We tend to have private parties as opposed to huge, open campus parties. We call our events "UPhi and Friends." This has taken up a significant portion of my life and means a great deal to me to be able to have friends that I can be with every weekend. I am such a person that if I do not socialize on a regular basis, I become really depressed. But being in this sorority, I always have someone I can turn to, someone I can be with. The UPhi parties make up a memorable portion of my life here at Ursinus.

I wonder then if this cake is rather reminiscent of what Kirshenblatt was talking about with giving meaning to art. This cake was made by Sko, one of our sisters who wishes to go to the French culinary institute when she graduates to make artistic cakes. But I feel that many would argue that this cake is not art, though I perceive it to be. And had I'd not provided context, this cake would hold no meaning either. So then in a combination of what all the people we have been reading about have been saying, maybe we need to provide context to explain the meaning that we are creating for art so that meaning can be established. But does that give this cake value? Is it art? Perhaps only to me.

The letters on the cake are our Greek letters for Upsilon Phi Delta and the cake is decorated in our colors, white, black and emerald green.

No comments:

Post a Comment