
This is a picture of me playing World of Warcraft with my boyfriend Tristan and some other guy I don't know who wanted to group with us. He's playing his two characters on two separate accounts so that he can run our characters through the dungeon to get experience points. My character is the tree and Tristan's character is the elf and the character named "floppie" that you can't see because my character is in the way. I only say this in case you were wondering.
The point I wanted to make here has to do with what McLuhan was talking about in his article. The only reason why I had started playing this game was because of Tristan, my boyfriend. We have to spend most of our time apart, I get to see him every other weekend. But he is a hopeless romantic and I am a free-spirited, easily bored Gemini and we both regret that we are not able to do things together. He had played this game previously, and since it is online, as long as there is internet and a computer, we can play together. We can send messages to each other and go on quests together. He and I are both rather nerdy so it seemed like a great idea.
But then When I realized that we have gotten to the point of playing this game together almost everyday, I realized it was something similar to what McLuhan said about electronics both bringing people together and keeping them apart. While Tristan and I are keeping close to one another by communicating and playing a game together, we still have the internet separated between us. We communicate with one another without actually being together. We are both apart and together.

No comments:
Post a Comment